Great news for Sony fans, such as myself! Sony has just released the KitKat update for the Xperia Z Ultra, Z1, and Z1 Compact. The update brings a lot of goodies to the table, though you shouldn’t hold your breath for the announced Z2 features.
I’ve flashed my Z1 back to stock in order to take the update this morning, and I’ve been using it all day long. It’s an excellent build, with better response in some critical areas, like the recent apps screen, which previously saw some lag in the last build. The Z1 does not appear to heat up as much as it used to, so I can only imagine some better thermal control has been implemented as well. A full changelog from Xperia Blog is provided below.
Keep in mind that you’re going to lose global write permissions for your SD card. That can be fixed easily with a market app and root access, however.
Sony Xperia Z1 Android 4.4.2 KitKat changelog (14.3.A.0.681)
– Updated Camera application and overall tuning to improve the camera experience
– New camera resolution setting at 15.5MP in 16:9 ratio
– Enhanced email app
– A tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings – More intuitive and customisable
– The same launch animation and live wallpaper as the Sony PlayStation 4 adapted across the lock and home screens
– Sony’s native app portfolio will be updated to the latest versions. This includes Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select and Smart Social Camera
– Updated Media apps including WALKMAN, Album and Movies. Better Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI and faster download speeds
– Stability, performance & battery improvements
– Answering machine option added in Call menu
– “Take screenshot” option returns in Power off menu
– Default SMS app can be switched to Hangouts
– Battery icon changed
– Switch between Notifications and Quick Settings from the drop down menu
– Touch block Small app included
– Calendar app updated
– Transparent status bar
– “Picture effect” camera app renamed to “Creative effect”
– New Printing option in settings
– New package of Xperia Themes
Took the update? What did you think about it? Need help getting it set up? Let me know in the comments.
Source: Xperia Blog
Image Credits: The Nerd Mag