The long anticipated Android 4.4.2 update for the T-Mobile and GSM unlocked Moto X is live and pushing to owners now. The new version is build 161.44.25.en.US and is 146.7Mb in size. This is not only for T-Mobile Moto X owners, but anyone that owns GSM unlocked Moto X, model XT1053, including the GSM Developer Edition. If you have a carrier logo on the back of your Moto X, this is not for you.
A few highlights, aside from Android 4.4.2, are added support for printing photos, Google Docs, GMail messages, and other content via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or cloud printers; a battery life bug fix that a small number of users on Android 4.4 experienced; and a bug fix for e-mail services like Microsoft Exchange to take care of intermittent delays in data synchronization. Release notes are available at Motorola’s customer support website.
If you have not received a notification that this system update is ready then don’t panic, we have you covered. The OTA package and instructions for you to manually install are below.
- From your Moto X, download the OTA here to your internal storage, by default it will save to Download/
- When the download is complete, power off your Moto X
- Next, boot into bootloader mode by holding Volume Down and Power
- At the bootloader screen, use Volume Down and scroll to Recovery, then press Volume Up to select it
- Once you rebooted into recovery mode you will see No Command. Hold Volume Up and press Power to show the recovery menu
- Use Volume Down to highlight apply update from sdcard then press Power to enter
- At the Choose a package to install screen, use the Volume buttons to highlight Download/ and press Power
- Use the Volume buttons to highlight Blur_Version.161.44.25.ghost_row.Retail.en.US.zip and press Power
- The update will start installing and needs 5 minutes to complete. When your Moto X reboots, you will have the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat available.
That’s it, enjoy your KitKat!
Image Credits: Android Fan Network